Carbon Storage Licensing Rounds
We hold offshore and onshore petroleum licensing rounds, inviting applications from companies and making awards to those bids that promise to ensure economic recovery of the UK’s oil and gas resources, whilst supporting the drive to net zero carbon by 2050. We also offer acreage offshore for carbon dioxide appraisal and storage licensing in support the Government’s targets to store 20-30MTPA of CO2 by 2030 as part of the decarbonisation of UK industrial emissions, and to support the UK’s journey to net zero emissions by 2050.
- Carbon Storage Licensing Rounds
- Offshore Petroleum Licensing Rounds
- Onshore Petroleum Licensing Rounds
- Past licensing rounds
1st carbon storage licensing round
The window for the NSTA to receive nominations for carbon dioxide appraisal and storage licence areas closed on Friday 13th May 2022. Following consideration of nominations received, on 14th June 2022 the NSTA launched a carbon storage licensing round, inviting applications for a number of areas across the UKCS including the Northern North Sea, Central North Sea, East Irish Sea and Southern North Sea.
Applications within the areas offered can be submitted to the NSTA until 13:00 BST on 13th September 2022. Full information on how to apply can be found below.
Licensing Round information
Carbon Storage Licensing Round [click to expand]
General Information – pre-award stage
- Press notice
- Public notice announcing the launch of the Carbon Dioxide Appraisal and Storage Licensing Round
How to Apply
- CS licence application guidance
- Licence application form
- SFTP site (instructions are contained with the licence application guidance)
- Financial guidance
Maps and Data
- Shapefiles and co-ordinates of areas offered for applications
- Technical Study - Measurement, Monitoring and Verification of CCS Projects with Co-Location considerations
The NSTA will provide updated Q&A here throughout the licence application process. Please check this page regularly to ensure you see any updates. Last Update 27th July 2022.
Other Useful Information
General application queries should be sent to Offshore.Exploration@nstauthority.co.uk