As part of the 21st Century Exploration Road Map initiative (21CXRM), the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA), in collaboration with the 21CXRM Technical Advisory Committee, has awarded two contracts for petroleum system related studies for the East Shetland Platform and South West Approaches area.
The contracts have been awarded to Getech and BGS for South West Approaches and FROGTECH and IGI Limited for the East Shetland Platform. Both projects are expected to be completed by the end of Q1 2017.
The provision of the studies has been supported by the MER UK Exploration Task Force and will complement the acquisition and reprocessing of seismic data in this area which has formed part of the 2016 UK Government Seismic Programme.
Nick Richardson, OGA Head of Exploration and New Ventures, said: “These projects represent the initial phases of more extensive regional mapping projects to drive exploration across the UK Continental Shelf.
“The results of these projects from Getech, BGS, FROGTECH and IGI Limited will enhance industry knowledge, awareness and understanding of both the South West Approaches and East Shetland Platform ahead of the 31st Frontier Licencing Round.”
Other projects completed by the 21CXRM include a post-well analysis of exploration and appraisal wells drilled during 2003-2013 in the Moray Firth and Central North Sea and a geoscientific regional petroleum system analysis of the Palaeozoic which is due to be released publically in Q2 2017.
Notes to editors:
- The 21CXRM Technical Advisory Committee is responsible for a five-year plan of regional subsurface studies to support ongoing exploration initiatives and future licensing activities.
- The 21CXRM Technical Advisory Committee is led by the OGA, and has representation from Azinor Catalyst, BayernGas, BP, Chevron, DONG, ENGIE, Hurricane Energy, Maersk Oil, Shell and Siccar Point Energy.
- Further detail can be found on the 21CXRM webpage
- Each of the projects were tendered as two separate lots. The projects in the SW Approaches have been awarded to Getech (Lot 1) and BGS (Lot 2) whilst the East Shetland Platform projects have been awarded to FROGTECH (Lot 1) and IGI Ltd (Lot 2).
- The OGA’s Exploration Strategy can be found here.
For more information please contact:
Oil & Gas Authority
Tel: +44 (0) 300 020 1072