Look up original licences and licence reports for UK onshore, offshore and gas storage by block, company or licence number.
- Offshore licences by licence number
- Onshore licences by licence number
- Offshore licences by block
- Onshore licences by block
- Licences by company and block
- Licensee company information
- Company group lookup
- Offshore sub-area operators
You can search for Offshore, Onshore, Gas and Carbon Capture Storage licences using our interactive web application by licence number or block.
Licences in the current round will be added as they are executed.
The clauses incorporated into licences granted before 2008 were amended by the provisions of the Energy Act 2008. Licences granted since that date incorporate the same new provisions.
Additional licensing data
- Current Seaward Exploration Licences
- Current Landward Exploration Licences
- Previous licensing rounds
- Past (Archived) licensing rounds
The NSTA relies on the operator to confirm all necessary permissions have been obtained from any person, group, or company that may own the intellectual priority (copyright) within any material to be published. Clearance for publication must cover items including seismic lines, reprocessed seismic data, extracts from commercial reports / maps / group-funded reports, maps, sections and well data.
The reports must comply with the writing relinquishment reports guidelines (PDF, 233KB, two pages) and be submitted within three months of the request. Find out how to surrender a licence for oil and gas exploration and development
The NSTA does not accept responsibility for any of the information published above nor does it warrant the accuracy of any data supplied by the NSTA. For further information please contact:
Documents and information
Completing the form
The NSTA will assume the form has been submitted in accordance with the wishes of the entire licence group under the terms of the joint operating agreement (JOA) or similar agreement. The NSTA cannot accept responsibility for ensuring compliance with the terms of a JOA, but would like to know when a dissenting party has been outvoted. Please email applications where possible, but postal applications can be sent to:
Licensing Exploration and Developments (licence determinations)
The North Sea Transition Authority
21 Bloomsbury Street
London. WC1B 3HF
Part 1: contact details
Include details of the person we should approach for further information, and to whom we should reply. Enter a return postal address at box 4 if you want a written response.
Part 2: nature of determination/surrender
- enter the subject licence and the block(s). Also attach (or enclose) a map showing the acreage before the determination/surrender, indicating the position and status of any approved fields and wells within the licensed area.
- for a surrender, indicate clearly which acreage is to be retained and which surrendered.
- at Q6 indicate if you are determining the full licence. If you are, you can skip part 3.
Part 3: area to be surrendered
Do not complete this part if you are determining a full licence.
- enter the grid coordinates that define the area to be surrendered (not the area to be retained). Use the suitable systems to define the coordinates: ED50 datum for offshore licences; National Grid datum for onshore licences. Show the location of all wells and fields within the currently licensed area.
- specify any sub-area that lies wholly within the area to be surrendered, which will disappear as a result of the surrender.
- name any company left without beneficial interest in the licence that will seek the Secretary of State approval for an assignment to withdraw.
Part 4: questions
- name here any party to the licence that objects to the determination/surrender – even if it is not able to block it.
- note any incomplete element of the initial term work programme (initial term licences only).
- list each well on acreage that will become unlicensed, including details of its status (producing, suspended, abandoned)
- specify any fallow acreage to be surrendered/determined.
- enter the effective date of the surrender/determination, bearing in mind the strictures on notice periods (above).
- add all other details you think we might need to know.
Licence relinquishments, 2003 to present
- 2016 licence relinquishments (PDF | 84KB)
- 2015 licence relinquishments (PDF | 92KB)
- 2014 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 53KB)
- 2013 licence relinquishments (DOC | 105KB)
- 2012 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 50KB)
- 2011 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 81KB)
- 2010 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 34KB)
- 2009 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 82KB)
- 2008 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 39KB)
- 2007 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 67KB)
- 2006 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 38KB)
- 2005 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 35KB)
- 2004 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 35KB)
- 2003 licence relinquishments (DOCX | 29KB)
N.B. If you are using IE10 or IE11, please view the page above in “Compatibility View” found on the tools menu.